Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The First Days in the City

Well, it is now day #5 that we've been here, and it feels like a lot longer. Not in a bad way, but in the 'I've just thrown myself into this place' kind of way. And I don't think there is any other way to do New York. The way the crowds, subways and taxis move around here--you either jump in and keep up or you'll get trampled. That being said, I have been pleasantly surprised to find chivalry is in fact not dead here. I have been reminded of the nice Southern manners I grew up with as both men and women stop to open doors for me, hold elevators, or move so I can get across the street. Perhaps this is because I am pushing Connor in a stroller and have Kea strapped to my chest and I look like a confused tourist? Or that I am wearing a light blue jacket amid this sea of black and therefore people assume I am lost? Either way--I'll take it.

On Sunday we took the kiddos on a long subway trip with a change of trains to see Park Slope--the area we'd like to live in Brooklyn. The wind was unbelievable. The streets of Park Slope were virtually empty as we braved whipping trash, leaves and dirt. We ducked into a bakery to grab something to eat before venturing back on the train--Connor demanded a bagel that was bigger than his head. I can not believe the size of the bagels here! They do not make kid sizes:) I loved listening to the Brooklyn accents and all the different people that worked there. Young waitresses of all ethnicities and the owner and his buddies sitting at a back table watching the Giants play. Although people are abrupt yes, there is an underlying kindness that we seem to be getting from people when they look at the kids. Overall, I think that we could live there very happily for the next year or two. Connor also took to the subway and by the end of the trip was swinging around on the poles like a pro.


Monday and Tuesday have been the first days of me and the kids on our own. We've got a routine kind of down--wake up, eat breakfast, hang out in the apartment until Connor can't stand it anymore and then head to Central Park. The playground there has these elaborate bridges and things to climb. Perfect for Connor. The weather today was warmer than yesterday--it was 9 degrees in the wind yesterday!! But besides some rosy cheeks--we've made it just fine in the cold. We just can't stay out as long as we did in Seattle.

Today was my first exposure to the nannies at the park. It's straight out of a book or movie--nannies of all colors and sizes who obviously don't "match" with the kids they are taking care of. I think that today I was the only one that matched my kids and didn't speak Russian, German, African dialects etc. It is pretty cool--feels like I am in a whole other country. But, I do imagine it would be harder to make friends. Some of the kids seemed to know each other, but their caretakers were doing their own thing a lot, or had obviously come with friends who were also nannies. Granted, this is just what I've seen from walking around and one playground (and only TWO days), but it is really really different than Seattle--where almost all the moms "match" their children:) There was one little boy who is Connor's age and was there yesterday as well as today. When I encouraged him to make a friend he said "I have friends already, don't want new ones..." and walked away from the little guy. Connor and I are definitely missing our friends in Seattle!!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Love the blog, Heidi! Oh and your friends and family are missing you, too!

Rhiannon Henry said...

I love to hear about your adventure there, you have always been a thrill seeker :)